Video.js 6.5.0 Release
November 17th marked the pre-release of Video.js 6.5.0. It comes shortly after the release of 6.4.0, which has now been promoted to latest! This is a pretty exciting release because we finally got our own element! I like to call it the I Can't Believe It's Not Custom Elements because it isn't an actual custom element but it's not a standard HTML element either. Also, a nice and smooth progress bar thanks to a first time contributor; thanks @vhmth!. A pretty major memory leak fix, and many code refactors and bug fixes. I'd like to thank everyone who contributed and the four first time contributors to Video.js: @vhmth, @FirefoxMetzger, @EhsanCh, and @shahlabs. This post comes a week late because it was Thanksgiving week in the US after release and I was on break, if you celebrate Turkey day ??, hope you had a good one!
I Can't Believe It's Not Custom Elements with a
<video-js>element. It works exactly like the
<video>embed but without requiring you to use the
<video>element and the benefits and drawbacks that come with it. It also adds the
video-jsclass name automatically for you, so, there's no need to add it.
A smooth progress bar!before the changeafter the change
After much spelunking in the code base and developer tools, we've plugged most of the memory leaks with retained DOM elements in Video.js!
Many code refactorings from our old code style to the new one by @kocoten1992!
Previously, you could accidentally seek or toggle playback using the middle or right clicks. Now, just go ahead and try it!
An accessibility fix with regards to title tooltips and menu items.
Better handling of
play()in our new asynchronous world, especially immediately after changing the source.
- Vinay @vhmth First PR
- Ilya Piatrenka @odisei369
- Brandon Casey @brandonocasey
- @FirefoxMetzger First PR
- Ehsan Chavoshi @EhsanCh First PR
- Chuong @kocoten1992
- Martin Bachwerk @arski
- Pat O'Neill @misteroneill
- Labdhi Shah @shahlabs First PR
- add a version method to all advanced plugin instances (#4714) (acf4153)
- allow embeds via
<video-js>element (#4640) (d8aadd5)
- Avoid empty but shown title attribute with menu items and clickable components (#4746) (dc588dd)
- Player#play: Wait for loadstart in play() when changing sources instead of just ready. (#4743) (26b0d2c)
- being able to toggle playback with middle click (#4756) (7a776ee), closes #4689
- make the progress bar progress smoothly (#4591) (acc641a)
- only allow left click dragging on progress bar and volume control (#4613) (79b4355)
- only print element not in DOM warning on player creation (#4755) (bbea5cc)
- trigger timeupdate during seek (#4754) (1fcd5ae)
- player.controls() (#4731) (d447e9f)
- player.listenForUserActivity (#4719) (c16fedf)
- player.userActive() (#4716) (6cbe3ed)
- player.usingNativeControls() (#4749) (eb909f0)